Often times people look at me and they're really surprised when I tell them that my wife and I have been married for ten years. They usually respond with something to the effect of, "Wow! You married early." To which I reply, "Yeah, I sure did!"
Nevertheless, even though I was fairly young when we got married, boy has marriage taught me a lot about life, myself and relating to other...especially my wife.
Here's 10 of the many lessons that I've gained from 10 years of marriage.
10. Children demand your energy, money, wisdom and prayers.
9. Children are a gift from God to teach us how to love and learn.
8. Children should not become the center of the family's focus.
7. Sex is body language. We must work hard to communicate clear and meaningful messages of love, acceptance and trust.
6. Communication is currency. Talk honestly, frequently and carefully to create intimacy and synergy.
5. The hardest and sweetest thing you will ever build is a good marriage.
4. Romance gets harder. It's natural to "settle in" and take things for granted. Don't sleep though, someone is always waiting in the wings.
3. Sharing hobbies/pastimes is like rocket fuel for marriage.
2. Seeking God and spiritual renewal together regularly ensures a rock-solid bond.
1. If you have true love and commitment in this life, you're filthy rich.
As it turns out, I'm filthy rich!